Diet: Gluten and Wheat Free
Soup makes a great light lunch. This chicken soup recipe is simple to make, nutritious and very tasty. It freezes well, so why not make a big batch and pop some in the freezer.
- 1.2 litres chicken stock made from gluten and wheat free chicken stock cube
- 450g cooked chicken - skinned and pulled apart roughly
- 2 onions - peeled and sliced
- 2 sticks celery - finely chopped
- 2 carrots - peeled and finely diced
- 400g tin of mixed pulses in water (I use Sainsburys own)
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 55g butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a large pan and gently cook the onions, carrots and celery until just soft. Stir in the gluten and wheat free flour and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Season and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the cooked chicken and tinned pulses and heat through. Stir in the parsley and serve.
Maybe you might like to add a tin of creamed sweetcorn or mushrooms to the soup. My family like this unblended but for those who prefer a smooth soup, you may want to blend it. If the soup is too thick, just add more water/stock.