- 125g potatoes - peeled and cut into chunks
- 125g sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into chunks
- 170g tin of pink or red salmon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 spring onions - chopped
- Handful of fresh coriander – chopped
- Half a stalk of lemongrass - outer leaves removed
- 1 red chilli - seeds removed and finely chopped
- 5cm fresh ginger - peeled
- Zest of ½ lime
- 1 egg
- A tbsp gluten and wheat free flour and salt and pepper to coat
- Oil - for frying
Put the chunks of potato and sweet potato into a pan. Cover with boiling water and add a little salt. Cook until tender, around 15 minutes. Drain and leave to cool.
Blitz in a food processor the lemongrass, ginger and garlic until it is fully chopped and like a paste. Mash the potatoes and mix in the paste, drained salmon, spring onions, coriander, lime zest, chilli and egg.
Using your hands, form the mixture into fish cakes – the size of burgers but a bit fatter. If you are making these to have as a starter, make smaller patties. Dip them into the seasoned flour to coat and place each one on a plate and cover with cling film. Leave them to firm up in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
They can be frozen at this point if required and defrosted in the fridge overnight.
To cook – heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Fry for about 5-7 minutes on each side until golden. Serve with a sweet chilli dipping sauce and some green vegetables. My family like them with baked beans!