This is a simple chicken curry recipe that is heads and shoulders ahead of any shop bought or takeaway offering and is far healthier too! With fresh ginger and garlic, it’s a fragrant dish and the smell of it cooking is divine.
- 1kg of boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 2 large onions - diced small
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger - peeled and finely grated
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 1 fresh red chilli - deseeded and sliced
- 1 gluten and wheat free chicken stock cube
- Bunch of fresh coriander - chopped
Cut the chicken thighs into large chunks and place them in a bowl with the garlic, ginger, chilli powder, lime juice, 1 tbsp of oil and about half of the coriander. Mix and cover and allow to marinate in the fridge, overnight if possible.
In a large pan or wok, heat the remaining oil and add the onions and cook for around 5 minutes until soft. Add the turmeric and cook for another minute.
Tip the chicken and marinade into the pan and cook over a high heat until the chicken takes on some colour. Pour in the coconut milk, stock cube and chilli and cover with a lid. Simmer for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
Add in the remaining coriander and serve with some pilau rice and a dollop of mango chutney.