This beef curry is a rich, mild Thai curry that is great served as a main course with Jasmine rice. Cook it in the slow cooker for best results but can also be cooked in the oven at 190°C for around 2 hours.
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 4 tbsp gluten and wheat free massaman curry paste (I use Sainsbury’s)
- 500g stewing beef steak cut into large chunks
- 450g waxy potatoes cut into 2 ½ cm chunks
- 150g sweet potatoes cut into 2 ½ cm chunks
- 2 onions cut into thin wedges
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- Cornflour to thicken if too runny
Heat 2 tbsp coconut cream in a large casserole dish (that has a tight-fitting lid) and add the curry paste and fry for 1 minute. Stir in the beef and fry until well coated and sealed. Stir in the rest of the coconut cream with half a can of water, the potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, cinnamon stick, brown sugar and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer, then transfer to a slow cooker for 6 hours or place in the oven until the beef is tender – around 2 hours. Serve with jasmine rice.