Cauliflower cheese is a winner, so why not make this cauliflower cheese soup and serve it as a light lunch or starter.
- 1 large onion - chopped
- Knob of butter
- 1 large cauliflower - cut into florets
- 1 medium potato - peeled and cut into pieces
- 400ml milk
- 700ml gluten and wheat free vegetable stock (stock cube is fine)
- 125g mature cheddar - cut into small cubes
- ½ tsp English mustard powder (I use Colmans)
- Salt and black pepper
In a large saucepan, heat the butter and gently cook the onion until soft, around 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower, potato, milk, mustard, stock and seasoning and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer, cook for 25-30 minutes until the cauliflower and potato is cooked.
In a food processor, or with an electric hand blender, whizz the mixture until you have a thick and creamy soup.
Add more milk if you prefer a thinner soup. Pour into large mugs or bowls and top with the pieces of cheese and stir through before serving.