Diet: Gluten and Wheat Free
Spaghetti Bolognese is a classic Italian dish that is cooked and enjoyed around the globe. This easy recipe combines a rich sauce with a good helping of vegetables, to count towards your daily requirement.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon - finely chopped
- 2 large onions - finely chopped
- 2 carrots - peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks - finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 500g beef mince
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 100g button mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 gluten and wheat free beef stock cube
- 125ml red wine
- 400g dried gluten and wheat free spaghetti
- Salt and black pepper
- Basil - to serve
- 75g parmesan - grated - to serve
In a large pan, start off by frying the bacon in 1 tbsp of olive oil until golden and crisp. Reduce the heat and add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and the rosemary and fry for around 10 minutes until it softens.
Turn up the heat to medium/high and add the mince. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the meat is browned all over, stirring continuously. Add the tinned tomatoes, mushrooms, oregano, bay leaves, tomato purée, stock cube and wine.
Bring the mixture to the boil, turn down the heat to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 1 hr 20 mins stirring occasionally, until you have a rich and thick sauce.
When the Bolognese is nearly ready, cook the spaghetti as per the pack instructions. Check the seasoning of the Bolognese and serve this with the spaghetti and a big heap of parmesan. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.