- 1.5 kg ox-tail - washed - wiped and jointed
- 250ml gluten and wheat free beef stock (stock cube is fine)
- 4 medium potatoes - cut into equal pieces
- 2 large onions - sliced
- 3 stalks of celery - sliced
- 3 carrots - diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp gluten and wheat free plain flour (I use Doves Farm)
- Knob of butter
- 250ml red wine
- Salt and black pepper
Pre-heat the oven to 170°C, 150°C fan, gas mark 3.
Heat the butter in a large, heavy bottomed oven proof pan over a medium-high heat. Add the oxtail and allow it to take on some colour. Then add in the potatoes and vegetables, salt, pepper, herbs, garlic, tomato puree and flour and mix. Pour in the stock and wine and bring to the boil.
Place in the preheated oven and cook for around 5 hours. It can also be cooked in a slow cooker for around 8-10 hours on low.
When the meat is cooked, remove the bay leaves and thyme and any fat that you can see. I also remove the bones too; the meat easily drops off these.
Serve the ox-tail stew with seasonal vegetables.