Not your typical dense and greasy fritter, these light and fluffy courgette fritters made with grated courgette and other yummy ingredients make a delicious alternative to potato fritters and a surprisingly tasty lunch.
- 4 courgettes (around 750g)
- 250 grams feta cheese
- 1 clove of garlic - minced
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley - chopped
- Handful fresh mint - chopped plus more to garnish
- 6 spring onions - chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 140 grams gluten and wheat free plain flour (I use Doves Farm)
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 3 large free-range eggs - beaten
- Olive oil or butter for frying
- 3 limes - to serve
Coarsely grate the courgettes (food processor is easier!)
Spread the grated courgette out onto a clean tea towel and press lightly to get rid of any excess water.
In a bowl, place the chopped spring onions and crumble in the feta. Add the fresh chopped parsley and mint, garlic and chilli flakes. Spoon in the flour and season well.
Gradually add the beaten egg to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Stir in the drained and grated courgettes and mix. You will have a lumpy looking batter, don’t be alarmed, this is how it should look.
In a large frying pan heat a few tablespoons of oil and once it is hot, drop in heaped dessertspoons of the mixture.
Cook the fritters for around 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove carefully from the oil with a slotted spoon and place onto a plate that is covered in kitchen paper to drain off the excess fat.
Serve with wedges of lime and some more fresh mint.