A favourite summer dish in our house – one pot so not much washing up and all the goodness is retained. So easy to make and really tasty – dine al-fresco and imagine being somewhere in the beautiful Mediterranean eating this dish…
- 4 large skinless and boneless chicken breasts - cut into large chunks
- 5 oz (150 g) gluten and wheat free chorizo sausage - cut into 1 cm chunks
- 8 fl oz (225 ml) brown basmati rice measured in a glass measuring jug
- 16 fl oz (450 ml) homemade chicken stock (or stock made from gluten/wheat free stock cubes/powder)
- 1 orange - cut into wedges
- 4 oz (100 g) black pitted olives
- 2 large red peppers sliced lengthways
- 1 courgette cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato – cut into 1 cm chunks
- 2 medium onions cut into wedges plus 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz (100 g) sun-dried tomatoes in oil - cut into quarters
- 1 level teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 level tablespoon tomato puree
- ½ level teaspoon hot paprika plus salt and black pepper
In a large ovenproof casserole dish with a tightfitting lid, add the olive oil and fry the chicken quickly until just starting to colour. Add the onions, peppers, courgette, sweet potatoes, chorizo, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until they have all taken on some colour. Stir in the rice, making sure the grains get a good coating of oil. Add the tomato paste, mixed herbs, black olives, orange wedges and paprika. Give it a good stir.
Pour in the hot stock and add some seasoning and when the pot has reached simmering point, turn the heat off and carefully place the dish in the pre-heated oven. It is important to keep the rice down in the liquid so that it cooks properly.
Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C), for 1 hour.
This can be served with a green leafy salad.