Sweet and Sour Chicken
This popular Chinese dish is simple to make and very tasty. The sweet and tangy sauce is popular in our household and I like the fact that I can shove in loads of vegetables, without that much protesting!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless - boneless chicken breasts - cut into cubes
- 1 red pepper and 1 green pepper - de-seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp cold water water
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger - peeled and finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 220g can water chestnuts - drained and sliced
- 1 bunch spring onions - chopped
- 1 small can pineapple chunks
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp rice wine
- 2 tbsp gluten and wheat free dark soy sauce
- 175 ml chicken stock (made from gluten and wheat free stock cube is fine)
- 2 tbsp tomato purée & Sesame seeds to garnish
Diet: Gluten and Wheat Free
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan and add the chicken, peppers, ginger and garlic. Fry for 3-4 minutes, then add the water chestnuts, spring onions and pineapple and fry for another minute.
Add all the sauce ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked through, serve sprinkled with sesame seeds and boiled rice.