- 1 packet of gluten and wheat free ready rolled puff or short crust pastry
- Half a cooked chicken
- 1 onion - chopped
- 6 rashers smoked bacon - chopped
- 1 gluten and wheat free chicken stock cube dissolved in 250ml of water
- 125ml milk
- 30g gluten and wheat free plain flour
- 15g butter and a little olive oil
- 1 egg - beaten - to glaze
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180°C fan, Gas mark 6.
Strip the carcass of the chicken and cut the meat into large pieces.
In a large pan, gently fry the onion and bacon in the butter and oil. Once soft, add the flour and cook for a further minute.
Add the hot stock, stirring continuously and then add the milk. The sauce should be rich and creamy - add more liquid, if it is too thick.
Stir in the cooked chicken, making sure it is all coated in the sauce and season with black pepper. The stock cube and bacon are quite salty, so I don’t find additional salt is necessary. Put all the mixture into a large pie dish and cover with the pastry sheet, sealing it with water, and make a vent in the pie top, for the steam to escape through. Brush with some beaten egg and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 -30 minutes.
I like to serve this with roast potatoes, seasonal vegetables and some thick gravy. If you have some leftover stuffing (obviously that is GF/WF) this can be added to the mixture with the chicken. You might like to try adding a can of drained sweetcorn or some sliced mushrooms. White wine can be added, in place of some of the water.